A B O U T
Matthias Düwel was born in Berlin, Germany. He received his Meisterschüler (MFA) from the Universität der Künste Berlin in 1983. The following year he was awarded a German Academic Exchange fellowship and made artist in residence at New York University Deutsche Haus. In 1985 he received a Pollock-Krasner grant award. In the intervening years he has had numerous solo exhibitions in Berlin, New York City, and Paris. (Download CV)
- Reviewed by Hi-Fructose Magazine, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Arts Quarterly, Huffington Post, and blogs Beautiful Decay and Glasstire.
- Recent solo/duo exhibits include Spindrift at Mirus Gallery (San Francisco), Eden at Martha Otero Gallery (Los Angeles), Face:Scapes at Beaver Street Gallery (Flagstaff), Consumer/Consumption at the University of Arizona Museum of Art, and Luminous Flux at William Havu Gallery (Denver).
- Participation in
Art Basel, Art Basel Miami Beach, Art Cologne,
Chicago Art Fair, and
New York Armory, among others.
- Artworks included in the permanent collections of the Tucson Museum of Art,
Musées dArt et d'Histoire (Geneva)
and Arkansas Art Center (Little Rock), as well as in several well-known private collections.
- History of exhibition with Moeller Fine Art (NYC), Galerie Brusberg (Berlin), Galerie Bellier (Paris), and Davis Dominguez Gallery (Tucson). Associated reviews published by Art & Auction, Beaux Arts, Le Monde, Libération, Frankfurter Allgemeine, Der Tagesspiegel, and Vogue Paris.
- Today lives and works on an old adobe ranch in the Arizona desert, as well as teaches at a local community college.